3.27.2013

No Visa=another letter from the MTC




Well this week has been very interesting but really good all at the same time. This week we talked a lot about really seeing the investigators needs. But sometimes that can be really hard, but already I've been able to see their needs because of the Holy Ghost. We teach a lot of people even here in the MTC and when I'm teaching them I get to see what they really need and my love grows for them. It has been a really great experience.

We had infield orientation on Friday. It was from 8-5. It was really long. But it was really good at the same time. I learned a lot about how beneficial it really is to have members find people and give you referrals. Another thing that really has been fun to learn is the authority that I was given as I was set apart as a missionary. I never have felt that much responsibility before. I really love that. In PMG it says that we are "set apart from the world to a higher plane of thought." As missionaries we leave behind all the comforts from home so that we can learn to fully rely on God, Jesus Christ, and the HG. It has been a strugglefest already for me to learn, but now that I'm used to it I really know that they are there. I know that I am talking to God when I pray and I have seen the answers he gives me. I know that Jesus Christ lives and that he loves me and that he sacrificed everything for me. He bled at every pore and his heart literally broke from all the pain. Because of this I can be who I am today. We are so blessed to have the Atonement. It is an AMAZING gift and I don't even understand it all. I really am so blessed. I've also learned a lot about the Holy Ghost here. The spirit has never been stronger with me before. I feel it constantly here, which is how it should be out in the world as well. But there are just so many distractions and the spirit will leave as soon as it isn't welcome anymore.  But we really have to rely on the Spirit. How else are we going to know what God has to say to us. So if you ever receive a thought, feeling, prompting or whatever, if it won't hurt, ACT. We need to show God that we will follow when he guides us and if we don't act how can we show that? I know it's hard, but we can all do it! :) 

My Teacher Bro. Dickey in his lesson on Saturday night had us write down as many of the things we can think of how God has prepared us to be here on our missions. Some of the things I wrote down were, as my PB says I am one of the Vailant ones who God saved for these last days. I was blessed with a testimony that I need to share and help other people with. I was born into a wonderful family, just like Nephi with "goodly parents" who have always followed in the footsteps of the Savior. It was a really cool experience to write those things down, because as I wrote, more and more, tons of thoughts kept popping into my head from my life that really have prepared me for my mission. I know I am supposed to be here, and this is what God's will is for me. 

On Sunday we still thought we were leaving to go to Australia on Monday, so we went to a Departure Devotional. It was really good and it helped the spirit confirm that the mission field will be hard but it is what I need to be doing and that as long as I'm obedient and willing to do what God needs me to, he will be there every step of the way. So Sunday night and Monday morning we got all packed up. Three of the sisters in our district left early Monday morning for their temporary assignments. And all but the 2 elders going to Australia from our District left, so there were only 5 of us left in the district. So now I am in a threesome with Sister Tanner and her companion. We finished packing and went to the travel office to check on our Visas. The people in the travel office said they hadn't come in the morning so we needed to check back at 3 which was like an hour before we were supposed to leave for the airport. So we were sitting in class and the lady walks in our classroom and tells us that they didn't come. We kinda were shocked and just so taken aback. She told us that she hopes that they will be here by Friday and if they are we will leave by Monday. Hopefully, but the way she said it, could also mean that we might be in the MTC for another week... After she walked out, I immediately felt peaceful and the confirmation that this is what is supposed to happen. There are people we need to help here or more things we need to learn or a million other things but the MTC is the right place for us to be. A Scripture that Bro. Dickey shared with us really helped to comfort me and it was Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him and he will direct thy paths." God does have a plan and this is the right plan for us. I'm so grateful to know that I have an all powerful being watching over me every step of the way and guiding me to where I need to be. And honestly I was quite petrified to leave the MTC and go to Australia. I know that will happen soon but I do think i needed to be here longer.

We also got to watch a Devotional that Elder Bednar gave last Christmas on the Character of Christ. It was really amazing. I Learned so much about turning outward like the savior did. My mission is not about me. It is about helping others come unto Christ. I can't be focused on myself, or my mission won't be successful. I need to focus on the needs of others and not myself. The Lord needs more of his children and I hope that I will be able to help with that.

I've also been pretty sick since Saturday. I picked up one of my usual colds that usually takes me out for about 2 days. I usually don't go to work and school. But here I definitely needed to be to everything. But my mind was feeling really clouded over and I couldn't feel the spirit as fully as I had before and I was just feeling really down. I was struggling a lot and I felt that I needed to ask for a blessing. My teacher Bro. Dickey gave the blessing and I felt so much better. God really did bless me and since then I have been able to focus and I've realized my power and that I have a purpose and I cannot back down.

2 Scriptures that really stuck out to me this week have been D&C 100:4-8. It talks all about how God has called us to the work, and how he will help us. You should look it up :) It's great
Also D&C 123:17 "therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed."

Well I love you all. I'm grateful to have wonderful family members who love me and love the Gospel. You are all amazing! I'm going to try to get on later and send some pictures home, but who knows. One thing I really am excited for is this Easter Sunday. We are having a special big Sacrament Meeting with all the missionaries. They are going to have at least 100 Elders passing the Sacrament. It is going to be really a good meeting I think. Well I hope you have a good week. Remember to study your scriptures and pray. Come unto Christ every single day. If you are then you are doing exactly what God asks :)
Love you
Sister Benjamin
See ya in 17 1/2 months.

P.S. I'm real excited to see Lauren.  It is a huge blessing that Sister Tanner and I will get to see her. :)

No comments: