6.03.2013

Weekly email from Grafton




First Kangaroo sighting.  She commented that it kind of freaked her out, especially when they almost hit one while driving in the "bush".

Well this week was so good! I really loved it! And just like Dad said in his letter good things always come right around the corner after the hard trial. 

On Monday night we went over to have a lesson with a potential investigator. She has lost both of her parents in the last 2 years, and so we taught her the Plan of Salvation. We went through the lesson and of course she had questions, but she said at the end that she believes it and that she knows that her parents are up there waiting for her to come back. We told her that if she wanted to get up there with her parents that she needed to do her part and she was so willing. We extended the invitation to be baptized, and she said she had been baptized in another Church. We told her that the proper priesthood is in this Church and she said she wants to get baptized. She still has along way to go but it will work out like its supposed too. Heavenly Father wants his children to get baptized, and I'm sure he will help us if we do everything in our power to help her. We have visited her again and she was having a lot of family problems and she said that she was so glad that we stopped by. It was a prompting that S. Nauta and I received that we needed to go see her. I'm hoping that she will get baptized soon and that she can come to Church and be blessed by all the Gospel has to offer. Please pray for her and her sister. Pray that their hearts will be softened and that they will want this for them and that they will be able to know of its truthfulness. 

We also have been visiting with a less active brother. He got baptized about 5 years ago, but he doesn't really come to Church. He has been smoking and can have quite a foul mouth sometimes. We immediately hit it off though, and he has a very similar sense of humor to me and we were just laughing with each other. But of course he knew why we were there so because of the spirit I was prompted to ask him about his smoking habit, and it completely opened the door and I was very bold and told him that his habit was disgusting and that he needed to quit. I was surprised with myself when those words came out of my mouth. Usually I'm the quiet one and the one not saying much, but we continued to talk, and I told him that He has a Heavenly Father and Savior who loves him and if he believes that he can quit that he can with their help. So he committed to try. We then went back a couple days later and he had started to try to quit. He said that sometimes when he would think about smoking he would have this major cough attack and that he wouldn't want to smoke. I told him that this was Heavenly Father helping him. But he said that it was still really hard, and that he didn't know if he could. So I used what Jordan did on his mission about having him read the BOM every time he wanted to smoke, so hopefully that will help as well. Then we talked about Alma 5 with all the questions, especially in verse 27 that talks about if you died right now would you be ready to stand before the Savior. And he said no, but I told him that is why he needs to make the changes necessary now, so that he can return to live with Heavenly Father. I was telling him that I cared about him and then I started crying, because an overwhelming feeling of God's love for him was pulsing through me and I told him that he can change because we care so much about him and Heavenly Father does as well, and if he loves the Savior and his Heavenly Father he will do this. Then Sunday came around and he wasn't at Church before we started but then about 10 minutes in, he came in. He came to Church when he hasn't been for years. I was so happy to see him. I had a huge grin on my face. He left right after Sacrament but It was one step in the right direction. I know he can do this and make the changes he needs too. Pray for him as well. 

Then we visited another LA and her husband. We had dinner with them and we watched the Restoration Video and we set the husband with a date for Baptism on June 29th. He said if he knew it was true and that if Kelli could give up smoking and be there with him ready that he would be baptized. We told Kelli that she could give up smoking that Heavenly Father knew she could do this. So she said she would try one last time. So pray for them. Pray for her that her desire for smoking will be taken away. They need all the help they can get. I know that they can do this. It really has been a good week. 

On Friday we went up to Coffs Harbour and had Zone Training Meeting. We had it with all the other missionaries then we had P-day with them. It was really fun and good to actually see other missionaries because we are all so far apart that this is the only time we see each other. One of my favorite things we talked about is how when we tell people we are going to this zone they say oh you are just being exiled. Because in this zone my district leaders area is 5 hours away from me and the ZLs are an hour away and the other 4 elders are 2 and 3 hours away, we have District meeting each week on the phone. It is quite interesting but good. But we talked about how some missionaries need the constant being with other missionaries, but when you are sent out here all you have is your companion and your Heavenly Father. Heavenly Father trusts us to be out here and he knows that we can handle it. We learn to rely on him even more and I think that is going to benefit me so much in my mission later on and later on in life. It certainly isn't easy being a missionary, but I know that I'm blessed because of it. Tonight we are driving up to Newcastle to have Zone Conference, and we are going to have to drive 5 hours tonight, then stay all day Tuesday and then drive back Wednesday Morning. It is crazy but it will be good. I'm excited. It's exciting to be a missionary :)

Well I know that this Church is true. I know that my Heavenly Father is real and that he will bless me to do his work. I know that this is what I'm supposed to be doing and that I can do anything with the Lord's help. I know that Jesus Christ is the Savior. I don't know as much as I would like, but I have been studying Jesus the Christ pretty much every day which is so good :) I love reading about his life and his incredible example. I love my Savior and I love this Gospel. I know that the BOM is the word of God.
I love you all I hope you have a wonderful week!
Love Sister Benjamin


No comments: